Can I just say, when I round the curve towards home and see police lights reflecting off my house, I freak out a little bit. Okay, a lot a bit. Perhaps that is due to the fact that the last time that happened, around January 15th of this year, it was because they were responding to a call I made when I had arrived home to discover my home had been broken in to. Since that time, every bark the neighbor's dog makes and any creak of a floorboard or door tends to put me on a bit higher alert. Then to see a police car parked in front of my house....it's a bit unnerving!
And I won't even mention how news reports of the East Coast Rapist are putting him A LOT closer to home than comfort levels can handle.
In the midst of all of this anxiety and caution, I came upon a wonderfully calming article. It is one that takes you back to "the good old days" when life was simpler and maybe a little bit happier. At the same time, probably moreso if truth be known, this article reminds you to stop, and really smell those flowers. The pretty smelling ones, not the others. The article was about "101 small pleasures you can enjoy every day." Before I post the web address on here, I want to know from you what the small pleasures are that YOU enjoy every day. I am betting they are those we all enjoy yet often overlook.
To start you off, I will tell you some of mine.
~ singing of birds
~ the smell of fresh cut grass after a rainfall
~ warm cookies
~ breaking out in random song
~ singing along to Broadway, or Disney, or church hymns
~ reading in the sunlight
~ talking with an old friend
~ hand written letters
~ fresh baked bread
~ a long walk in the spring evening
~ fresh bouquet of flowers
~ a date (and I'm not talking about the fruit)
~ a cup of hot cocoa...with or without peppermint
~ playing the piano, or listening to it be played
~ coloring
It truly is through small and simple means that great things are brought to pass. Those small and simple things, such as these small pleasures, are indeed among the tender mercies of the Lord with which we all are blessed. Perhaps we should take the time to enjoy them more often instead of brush them aside in the hustle and bustle of daily living. These things most often can calm a weary, anxious, and frightened soul...and if that is not a tender mercy, I cannot tell you what is.
No comments:
Post a Comment