As you have probably determined by now, I am not one to update a blog often. I even struggled with my goal of once a month! Of course, I'm not all that better with my journal, although I try to write in that once a day. I average about...oh....okay, maybe we shouldn't discuss that. But this year will be different! Mostly because I currently have a plethora of time while at "work."
I've decided that if I really wanted to "ring out the old," I would have to think of what the old is; I would have to let all the events and memories of this last year (2010) come to the forefront of my mind. So, what were some highlights in the life of this American Lady that had occurred in the year of 2010?
1. Snowmageddon. Dear old Mother Nature and Father Winter got together and decided to let my part of the world have the winter we've all been missing (and not many wanted, although I loved it!). We ended up having three snow storms and about 2 weeks off of work. Well, some of us did. I worked retail, so I was not part of that some. Although, there were a couple of days where even the mall shut down! Happy new year to me :D
2. I had the wonderful blessing of being home with my parents, sister and sister's family over my birthday weekend. Sharon had made me a wonderfully cute "sweethearts" cake, as my birthday is around Valentine's day and my niece decided that it needed one more decoration before being presented: her little finger marks where she wanted icing, or cake. I went home again in the summer when my other sister could come. The three sisters together again! Good times, and much making fun of the Twilight series, were had. Of course, that didn't stop us from getting the Twilight sweetheart candies from Walmart (haha!). They were actually pretty tasty.
3. Someone (or someones) broke in to my house. And yes, they did take things, as I know you're next question was 'did they take anything?' Four single ladies living in one house - there was a lot to take that could give them fast cash. It was hard (understatement of the year) but I would have to agree with one of my roommates that the greatest thing that was stripped from us was our sense of security and peace. Even now, I freak out a bit when I think someone tries to open the door or I think I hear something I shouldn't. I was the one to first find that we had been violated. It was, then, my responsibility to tell all my roommates. The same thing happened when my house caught fire while I was in high school. I was the first to find out in my family, and it was then my responsibility to tell my parents and the rest of my family. I saw my church congregation (my ward) come together though and do all they knew to do to ease our financial, physical, emotional and spiritual strain. And from that same night on, I prayed for those who had stolen from us. I didn't pray that they would be caught; I prayed that they needed those things more than we did. That little act really helped me not harbor anger, and for that I am grateful.
4. Eric came to visit me! During his mid-tour leave, he decided he needed to spend some time with me and took me to many of the places around my hometown that I have never been, like the Spy Museum and the Crime and Punishment Museum and the Aquarium and Lurray Caverns and a few other places. It was a blast! And I loved having him visit.
5. I actually had dates! And quite a lot of them (well, by my standards at least)! After my week-long date with Eric, there was Greg, Craig, Nelly, Kurt, Joe, and I think that is all. A couple of those first dates resulted in second dates. And one of them turned into a still current relationship that spanned the majority of the year. He's absolutely wonderful and I couldn't ask for anyone better.
6. My (favorite) roommate, from Virginia of course (if any of my other past roommates are reading this!), who had been my roommate for 4 years, moved across the country to California. I know she needed to go, but I still didn't want her to. She's the closest friend I had, and with whom else could I have late night hallway chats?
7. I moved. I have three new roommates and we live in a quint little townhouse (with an AMAZING kitchen) even further from the District. It's very nice, and my roommates are wonderful! Of course, no one could replace the one who moved to Cali! But, you work with what you have, and I have a happy and content home...and a REALLY small room.
8. Christmas in July! Some of the summer sales guys that my roommates and I got to know, as well as the sister missionaries, were invited for a Christmas-in-July dinner, which I hosted. It was very fun to do and helped to focus on the real meaning of Christmas rather than what gifts to get for whom. None of the guys still talk to me, but hey, that's life.
9. I managed one of the Fire & Ice jewelry stores over the summer and while there, met Larry King. Yes, THE Larry King, the one with the late night show. I sold him my favorite 14k diamond heart necklace for his wife, to whom he is still married. Yes, he is still married to her. Don't listen to the stupid gossip magazines, since they make things up for attention anyway. Life has enough drama, we don't need to read the media magazines to create more!
10. I got a new job. I GOT A NEW JOB!! And this time, a career job...outside of retail! I'm stoked.
The top 10 in '10 (in no particular order) is good enough for me. I'm sure there are plenty more memories that I could quickly recall, but these are the 10 most impressionable on my mind. 2010 has been trying physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually. In some respect, it has been the worst year I remember; but at the same time, it is by far the best. Seems the worst and the best are very much intertwined, just as Charles Dickens observed: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us...."
are you trying to give me a guilt trip, emma?! i miss you, too. you have no idea how much...
ReplyDeletei didn't know you met larry king! that's pretty cool. and sold him a necklace. even better:) you'll have to tell me about that experience.