I have had adventures lately though. A good friend of mine told me that I didn't only have to write about my foreign adventures (i.e. Prague or my planned trips to Ireland and elsewhere), but that I live in a culturally rich area of the United States and can totally have adventures pretty much every weekend. Not that I take those opportunities every weekend (stupid retail) but I have been known to explore the northeast.
A few weekends ago, when Rachel had come back to the area, she, Bronwyn and I took a night and went into the District. We decided to see the FDR memorial, and it was a beautiful night to go....cold, but beautiful. The whole reason we went was to spend Bronwyn's Starbuck's gift cards on hot chocolate, but by the time we left the memorial (which I would recommend everyone to go see...in the spring), Starbuck's everywhere was closed. It was a sad day in DC.The latest adventure actually in the District happened just last weekend, my birthday weekend :) Some dear friends and I made an appearance at the Smithsonian's American History Museum. The place was PACKED, probably due to it being president's weekend and for the museum being closed for the last two years. The museum was amazing; the metro ride entertaining and the people I was with was the best part.

I got to see Dorothy's ruby slippers, and a VERY old oboe and other pretty awesome things....and I was only able to see about 3 of the features. The best part was that I was president for all of about 30 seconds. Of course, I wasn't very good. And I don't want that much attention....ever. I kind of like being the supporting star, not the main one.
One adventure that might surprise a lot of people who know me (well, I guess if you know me that well, it really wouldn't be too surprising) is the MAE concert I went to just last week. I actually really liked the music and the bands. Admittedly, I was quite impressed that they kept the lyrics clean (which is sad that in today's world you're more surprised when the lyrics are clean than you are to hear swearing). When my friend told me it was emo rock style, I really didn't know what to expect, but with the three bands I heard- Light's Resolve, Shyrock and Mae - I would consider them worthy music and I actually really liked Shyrock. They were my favorite. And what impressed me more is that all three of them were willing to play at a smaller venue in a smaller town (granted, it's on the outskirts of DC) and were playing specifically to help raise awareness towards and help for local organizations trying to help find new and innovated solutions to homelessness.
Stay posted: once I figure out how to do what I want to do, there might even be pictures of these things and places of which I speak!
No comments:
Post a Comment